Peter and Paul Cathedral is justly regarded one of the main attractions of Peter and Paul Fortress. It was built in 1712–1733 as the main cathedral of St Petersburg, new capital of the Russian Empire. Designed in Baroque style by Dominico Trezzini, it combines typical features of West-European and Italian church architecture. It is rectangular…Details
from 28 November 2016 to 31 December 2019 The exhibition is based on the original objects from the unique collection of the museum, which have never been displayed before at such scale. Displayed are historical relics discovered during archaeological excavations, maps and plans, paintings, graphics and works of applied art. All these items carefully preserve…Details
The history of Peter and Paul Fortress as the main political prison in Russian began in 1718, when the son of Peter the Great, Prince Alexey was imprisoned here. In the late eighteenth the Secret House for preliminary detention of state prisoners was built on the territory of Alexeevsky Ravelin. One of its most famous…Details
Peter and Paul Cathedral has undergone several alterations in course of its long history. Permanent display in the belfry tells about the main stages of its construction and restoration. Drawings and photographs, a copy of a famous “Panorama of St. Petersburg” by Alexey Zubov (1716), model of Peter and Paul Cathedral, showing its design in…Details
Permanent display in the Neva Curtain Wall explores the history of Peter and Paul Fortress. More than 500 items from the museum collection, including archeological finds, engravings, photographs, construction equipment, models of the fortification structures, tell the story of the construction and development of the unique historical monument. Architectural designs, Russian and Swedish layouts and…Details
16.06.2017 from 24 December 2015 to 2 July 2017 Peter and Paul Fortress, Engineer’s House Commercial advertisement has always been an inevitable part of city life, but in the mid-19th century, it took on a new meaning, becoming one of the spheres of artistic creativity and inspiring many renowned artists and journalists. Development of this…Details
Permanent display in the Commandant’s House of Peter and Paul Fortress consists of two sections. The first section explores the ancient history of the Neva banks and the history of St Petersburg of the early eighteenth – early nineteenth century. On display are archaeological finds, maps and layouts, paintings, pieces of graphic and applied art,…Details
Peter and Paul Fortress, Petrovskaya Curtain Wall (left side) Exhibition from the collection of ceramics and glassware of the State Museum of History of St Petersburg is about 5000 objects of porcelain and glassware of Russian and West European production. The collection of ceramics and glassware of the State Museum of the History of St…Details
In 2013 a permanent exhibition “Collection of furniture of the XVIII – early XX century” was opened for visitors. The collection is taken from the decorative and applied arts fund of the State Museum of the History of St. Petersburg. The decorative and applied arts fund collection of the State Museum of the History of…Details
For 200 years the Shlisselburg Fortress “Oreshek”, situated on a small island in the river Neva’s outflow fr om Lake Ladoga, was used as a political prison. The first prison building – the Secret House (also known as The Old Prison) – was constructed in the citadel to the design of the architect Peter Paton.…Details
For 200 years the Shlisselburg Fortress “Oreshek”, situated on a small island in the river Neva’s outflow fr om Lake Ladoga, was used as a political prison. The first prison building on the territory of the fortress was the Secret House, wh ere participants of the Decembrists Revolt were confined. The New Prison was built…Details
The history of the mansion from its construction in 1730s – 1740s till the end of the twentieth century is shown by documents, architectural designs, photographs, portraits and family coat of arms of its owners, materials on restoration works in the building.
The NEP was the New Economic Policy introduced by the Soviet Government in 1921 – 1929 to prevent the Russian economy fr om collapsing. The NEP allowed small businesses to reopen for private profit while the state continued to control large industries, banks and foreign trade. The display in the Rumyantsev Mansion tells about the…Details
The 1930s in Russia was the time of five-year plans, true enthusiasm in work and fundamental reorganisation of the Leningrad industrial basis. The exhibition features samples of goods, produced at the city enterprises, and models of different structures and devices. The process of rapid industrialization involved intensification of labour and restriction of discipline. The country…Details
A literary display in the last flat of Alexander Blok, which he and his wife were compelled to move into owing to the Bolshvist policy of compression, was opened in 2005. The exhibition explores the life and work of Alexander Blok in the broad context of artistic life in St. Petersburg – Petrograd of 1920s…Details
In 2008 State Museum of the History of St Petersburg launched a new display entitled “Alexander Blok and his Circle”, based on the museum collection and memorial items from the Institute of Russian Literature in St Petersburg. Items connected with the poet’s family and literary circle, including numerous autographs, books, portraits, drawings and personal belongings,…Details
Memorial display is located on the third floor of the flat 21, which was occupied by Alexander Blok and his wife from 1912 to 1920. This flat is connected with the most fruitful period of his work. Here he wrote the cycles of poems «Of What the Wind Sings», «The Life of My Friend», «Black…Details
Permanent display of the Monument to the Heroic Defenders of Leningrad is located beneath the monument. Mosaic triptych “The Siege of 1941” by Sergey Repin, Ivan Uralov and Nikita Fomin depicts volunteers leaving for the war, women working at the factory in besieged city, and the portrait of Dmitry Shostakovich, who wrote his famous Symphony…Details
The twelve-room apartment memorial flat of the Leningrad Communist Party Leader has been preserved till present. The interior decoration of the study, the library, the small workshop and the bedroom came to our time almost unchanged; the kitchen, the second entrance hall and the housemaid’s room have been reconstructed. A collection of Kirov’s clothes, hunting…Details
Permanent display in the Mikhail Matyushin’s House focuses on the main stages of the development of avant-garde culture in Russia and shows the diversity of St. Petersburg avant-garde art of the 1920s – 1930s. On display are memorabilia of the Matyushin’s family, paintings and drawings by Mikhail Matiushin, Elena Guro, Alexey Remizov, Nikolay Kulbin, Vladimir…Details
The exhibition features the newspaper-making process. A collection of old printing equipment of the edge of the 19th – 20th centuries is displayed in the publishing room.
Books and newspapers published in the first publishing houses of St Petersburg, as well as documents dedicated to the history of printing, are on display here. The interior of the room is designed in the style of a library.
The exhibition features the history of the house now occupied by the museum. Visitors will have an opportunity to see the interior of the drawing-room and the study of a well-to-do citizen of St Petersburg, the owner of a rich collection of musical instruments.
from 27 October 2016 to 30 July 2017 Exhibition is dedicated to 130th Anniversary of Sergei Kirov
The exhibition tells about the residential houses and palaces, existant and the ones that were demolished, where the first Russian Emperor Peter I stopped during his journeys.
07.06.2017-02.07.2017 The North-Western Branch of the National Center for Contemporary Arts – ROSIZO presents the exhibition of the participants of the Art Residence Program in Kronstadt. Eight projects created by the guests of the Art Residence in 2016 will be presented at the exhibition “Kronstadt Stories-2.Archive” at the State Museum of the History of Saint…Details