In 1923, after Vladimir Lenin approved legislation allowing cooperative ownership of housing, a group of Muscovites joined together to build a small village at the outskirts of Moscow.
Inspired by British urban planner Ebenezer Howard’s notion of a “garden city” that mixed urban amenities with individual houses and garden belts, the group of teachers, artists, economists, agronomists, workers and other started planning and their model neighborhood.
The law allowed then to maintain residency for 35 years in return for purchasing a share of the setttlement. They built 114 houses on streets named after famous Russian artists – hence the name “artists’ village.”
The houses were designed by some of the finest architects of the time, including the Vesnin brothers, Nikolai Markovnikov, and Ivan Kondakov. Alexei Shchusev took part in the general planning.